I love yogurt and it is not always the healthiest store-bought thing ever. So I looked up how to make homemade yogurt. I make it with my mom. I think it is VERY easy to make but needs to be watched lest it over flow and leave a very big hot mess ‘just for you’ to clean up 🙂 I will give mine and my mom’s recipe from scratch off the top of my mind. So…………..
Here is the BEST EVER Easy Homemade yogurt recipe:
Prep time: 1-2 minutes Cook/Chill time: Total about 24 hours(I know, but it pays off)
- 4 cups of milk(pasteurized, not raw) milk
- 4 Tablespoons of yogurt(for a starter)
Note: How ever many cups of milk you want or need to use, you can use that many cups of milk as tablespoons of yogurt starter (Ex: 5 cups milk, 5 Tablespoons of yogurt. 7 cups milk, 7 Tablespoons of yogurt.)
1.Pour the milk in to a large saucepan.
2.When milk begins to bubble, let it bubble for about 30 more seconds and turn of immediately. DO NOT LET THE MILK OVERFLOW!!!!! If it starts to overflow as you turn it off, stir it with a spoon so it does NOT overflow.
3. When it cools a little bit (for about 5-7 minutes) add the yogurt and then mix till the lumps of yogurt are gone. Meanwhile, Preheat the oven to 150˚. KEY: take two spoons and find some lumps of yogurt and milk and put it in the spoon then stir the yogurt and the milk in the spoon till smooth.
4. Turn the oven off then put the yogurt in jars and cap them but not to tight(they should be on but be able to be pulled off without being twisted). Put the jars on a tin tray and put them in the off oven for 10-12 hours(or overnight).
5. The next day(or after 12 hours,) take the jars out and put them in the refrigerator for 10-12 hours.
6. After the jars hare been in the fridge for 10-12 hours, take them out, stir and Eat!